Windows Live ID Authentication for SharePoint is a project that has been developed for some time for the upcoming Swedish SharePoint Community Site, which will be an awesome site with some really cool features of which this is one.
I have previously tried some of the available Windows Live ID providers for SharePoint that are out there on the market and the best (previously) one is the provider from the Community Kit for SharePoint, originally developed by Keith Bunge. It has a great basic application design, but had some things that annoyed me and some things I wanted to change, therefore I created my own version, with the CKS version in mind, which I hope that you find useful.
There are a lot of features in the provider and I have some even greater plans…
- All configuration done through the SharePoint web interface; Central Administration or in the sites
- Forces users to register once registered
- Profile information that is more community-like
- Profile images
- Web Parts for displaying last logged in, last registered and all users.
- Users can be locked
- Approval of users can be turned on
- Profile changes can be published to announcement lists
- Four predefined roles for permissions management
You can download it now from http://spwla.codeplex.com/, you will also find a document with installation and configuration instructions. There are a few known bugs on which I work on, but if you can spot them or others, please report an Issue on the CodePlex and if you have any suggestions I really like to hear them.
In upcoming posts I will dig into some of the features a little bit more, but until then here are some screenshots.
|Configuration in Central Administration||Logged in users menu||Configuration of the Live ID enabled Web Application|
|Last logged in members web part||Edit personal profile||Built-in Live roles|