Installing a new service pack onto a server product is not just firing up the installer and hit next->next->finish. You should carefully read through the documentation and test it thoroughly. Service Pack 2 for SharePoint has been long awaited and I’ve seen people the last 24 hours installing it like madness just wanting to get their hands on the new features/updates. I did also install it just minutes after it was released (on my dev machine that is being reinstalled any hour now, when Windows 7 RC is out).
Andrew Connell said it well in a tweet just recently: “I’s watching everyone else install #sharepoint SP2 to see if there are issues (ala IU's AAM fiasco)... thanks in advance guys :)”
Twitter is one nice source of real-time update on what is happening right now on just about everything, especially when it comes to #SharePoint. I’ve collected some of the known, found and discovered problems with Service Pack 2 for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 and Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- IMPORTANT UPDATE: Important information on Service Pack 2 from the Microsoft SharePoint Team. (Added 2009-05-22)
- Service Pack 2 has unfortunately a serious bug which makes SharePoint time bombed after 180 days. Workaround is described (KB article) and hotfix is on the way!
- Nintex Workflow 2007 problem with Service Pack 2 (
Nintex currently advises users not to install SP2) – the forum thread contains a workaround (Updated 2009-05-01)
- Why did they not have a public (or semi-public beta) for SP2 so companies like Nintex could be proactive
- Update 2009-05-08: Nintex Workflow 2007 1.9.4 fixes these issues
- Failure when running configuration wizard after applying SP2 (problem and solution)
- The search service seems to be causing trouble for some users, either when running the config wizard or the b2b timer job
- Problem with SQL Server and AWE memory allocation
- Some people says that it takes some time to start SharePoint after applying the update
- Note that the content-dbs may automatically be defragmented after the update using the new defragmentation job
- Me and some others had some problems when running the installer which was due to the fact that the download of the updates failed so the installation package was corrupt. I had to retry a few times to get all the bits
- SharePoint SP2 and SPDatabaseGbwSequence error is caused by free SharePoint templates (Added 2009-04-30)
- Another reason to test your installation
- SharePoint Designer needs Service Pack 2 to connect to a SharePoint Service Pack 2 farm (Added 2009-04-30)
- MSI error 1603 while installing MOSS Service Pack 2 (Added 2009-05-04)
Have you experienced any other troubles, I’ll gladly update the list!