Contents tagged with msfeedicon
The new version, 3.0, will include an updated interface as well as some requested features and some major changes that msfeedicon users have asked/begged me about.
This is how the notification window currently looks like.
I will need a few, 3 or 4 to start with, beta testers to make sure that I have a good release once it's final, please contact me if you are interested and explain why you should be one of the beta testers. All beta testers will of course get credit in the application!
If you cant get through the day without checking your RSS feed subscriptions, you'll be glad to know about Msfeedicon: It perks up and simplifies Internet Explorer's RSS feature by adding some functionality. There's one caveat: The tagging feature described by the publisher didn't work in our tests.
After installation and a reboot, this little IE add-on dropped an RSS icon in our system tray. When we held the cursor over the icon, a small alert popped up with the number of unread posts in the updated feeds. Although Msfeedicon is tied to IE, clicking the icon opened our default browser instead of IE. The publisher updates this utility frequently, so we wouldn't be surprised if an upcoming version addresses that issue so you can configure Msfeedicon to open IE despite your default browser setting.
An alert popped up when feeds were updated. Although the publisher describes a Tags feature that will pick up feeds on related topics, we weren't able to make this feature work during our tests. Still, the ease of use and its space-saving component (no more keeping Favorites Center open to be alerted to updates) make this a recommended tool for RSS-feed devotees.
The review is pretty good, but "complains" on the Tag feature, which I think that the reviewer has misunderstood. Although the comments on the feature has given me a nice possible enhancement opportunity.
I am currently rebuilding msfeedicon from scratch to include some nice suggestions from users and adding some new features. Msfeedicon 3 will also include a new interface, that at least I think it looks nicer.
There will be some kind of beta in the near future and if you are interested in participating or if you have any feature suggestions, please contact me.
I'm heading for that last Download.com star!
msfeedicon version 2.4 is now available for download.
This version does not contain any new functionality only some corrected bugs from version 2.3. Windows XP users are highly recommended to install this new version.
Read more and download it at msfeedicon home page.
msfeedicon is a free plugin for the Windows RSS platform and Internet Explorer 7 which displays notifications whenever one of the subscribed feeds contains updates. Read more about it here.
New in this release is:
- New icons to enhance usability - due to popular demandNow orange icons is shown when there are unread posts and grey if there are no unread posts.
- New feature, for Windows Vista only, that disables the notifications when presentation mode is on. For example when a PowerPoint slide is running or when your screen saver is on. Notificatons will be queued up and shown when presentation mode is turned off
- New feature to clear all queued notifications
- Numerous fixes
Download it here.
msfeedicon 2.2 is now available for download!
msfeedicon is an Internet Explorer 7 add-on which displays an icon in the system tray with information on your feed subscriptions and notifies you with a notification window when a feed is updated.
Version 2.2 contains some interesting new features such as the possibility to use Tags to find the posts that you are interested. It's especially interesting if you subscribes on a lot of feeds. You can use the Tags so that updated feeds containing your Tags wil be Auto-starred or that notifications should only be displayd for the tagged feeds.
The notification window also contains a context menu, which can be reached by the dow-narrow on the right side of the notification window. Using this menu you can easily exclude the feed from displaying notifications or unsubsribe to the feed.
Installation should work on Microsoft Windows Vista now, without elevated privilegies. If you still have problems, please manually uninstall previous versions.
For more information on features please go to this page, which also contains a complete change log.
To download it click here.
If you like it please go to www.ieaddons.com and review or rate msfeedicon.
msfeedicon, the Internet Explorer 7 feeds utility, is now at version 2.1, a new release with interesting new features. It was just a few days ago that version 2.0 was released, but I have recieved interesting feedback and I had some good ideas on how to develop it further that I just had to implement.
I already have plans for another two or three releases in the near future, contact me if you are interested, so you will most probably see more upgrades soon...
New features in version 2.1
These are some of the new features of msfeedicon:
- Starring the notification windows - making them stay on top for later readingJust click on the star, to the left, in the notification window
- Mark all as read feature in the menu
- Mark feed as read from the notification windowClick on the mark as read symbol, upper right corner to the left of the close cross, to mark the new posts as read.
- Interface improvements
- Settings dialog
- Notification windows
For all features check previous posts.
Where do I get it!
UPDATE: Installation on Windows Vista may fail if Vista UAC is enabled. If it fails please disable it during installation or use version 2.0 until further notice.
You can get it here.
It seems like I was not the only one who thought that there should be some nice system tray application for the feeds in Internet Explorer 7. I created the msfeedicon application which shows unread feed posts and notifies the user of new and unread posts. The application have had a few hundred downloads so far and I have had positive feedback from users.
Go check it out and choose the one you think suites your needs...
I have some future plans for msfeedicon which I announce on this blog later and if you have any suggestions don't hesitate to contact me.
msfeedicon is now released at version 2.0 and is a major update to the previous versions.
msfeedicon is a plugin to the Windows RSS platform and Internet Explorer 7 Feeds and appears as an icon in the Windows XP/Vista system tray and displays when you have unread posts in your subscribed feeds. Whenever there is new posts in a feed msfeedicon will show an alert window with direct access to unread posts. No more need to have the Feeds Favorites Center visible in Internet Explorer nor Internet Explorer open to see when your feeds are updated.
- Runs at startup (customizable*)
- Icon in the system tray displaying if there are unread posts or not
- Alert windows (customizable*) for new posts with direct access to the feed
- Notification of new versions of msfeedicon
- Feed statistics
- Mark posts unread automatically* (customizable)
- Internet Explorer 7 only marks feeds as read when you close the tab with the feed or you navigate away from the feed
- Enable or disable the automatic feed sync
- Icon in system tray indicates if the feed sync is downloading or is enabled/disabled
- Install and uninstall program
- Force an update of all feeds
* is new in version 2
Requirements are checked during installation.
- Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista
- Microsoft.NET 2.0 Framework
- Internet Explorer 7
The download is available at:
Icon in system tray
Alert window when a feed is updated
Menu of msfeedicon
If you have any problems or comments please inform me by commenting on this post or sending me an email.
Here comes yet another update to the msfeedicon utility, version 1.4.
The msfeedicon utility is a free notification icon for the Windows RSS platform, that comes with Internet Explorer 7. The utility will show whenever one of your feeds have been updated and gives you easy access to view the feed. All this so you do not have to waste space on your screen with the Internet Explorer 7 Feeds task pane or some Windows Vista Sidebar gadget.
Features of msfeedicon 1.4
- An icon in the system tray showing if you have unread RSS or Atom feed items or not
- The icon also shows when the feed synchronization is disabled and when it is downloading the feeds
- Balloon tip when a feed is updated, with instant access to the updated feed
- Starts when you log into Windows
- Function so you can force an update of all your feeds, even if they are not scheduled for update
- Checks for new versions of the msfeedicon utility
What's new in 1.4?
- Statistics of your feed subscriptions
- The ability to enable or disable the feed background synchronization
- Installation program checks for Internet Explorer 7
- Some bugs are also eliminated
The msfeedicon utility requires Microsoft.NET 2.0 or higher, Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 and Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Where is the download?
You can download msfeedicon from these locations:
If you have time, please review the application on any of the sites above?
I have now updated msfeedicon to version 1.3 after a few days of running and some feedback. The major issue corrected in this version is that the application looses connection to the Windows RSS platform after a few hours of running, this problem is in all previous versions.
You can find the new version here.