Hey, look at that - a surprise update of the Office Roadmap! This time around we just have a couple of minor updates AND a couple of features that actually is removed from the Roadmap - all related to FastTrack. My guess someone was to trigger happy earlier this month when releasing this…
These features are no longer listed on the roadmap!
- FastTrack | Yammer Onboarding Expansion
- FastTrack | Project Online onboarding
- FastTrack | Azure Rights Management Onboarding
- FastTrack | Adoption planning services
- FastTrack | Skype for Business Onboarding Expansion
- FastTrack | Data migration to SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business
All that is left of the FastTrack items are
- FastTrack | Request Service Onboarding (Rolling out)
- FastTrack | Providing the customer success service (In development)
The second update of the Office Roadmap this months is now live. This time a huge set of features that are rolling out, most of them has to do with the updated Office ProPlus client (2016). There are some hidden gems in this such as the "Likes" in OWA, huge Sway licensing changes and (the not so hidden) announcement of Office 365 Planner.
- Cortana & Office 365 Productivity Scenarios: The Cortana and Office 365 feature should now be launched (from rolling out). I've yet to seen what it actually does.
- Office 365 Groups: mobile app: Love it! We have the Office 365 Groups mobile app, called Outlook Groups available on iOS, Android and Windows Phone (on some platforms only available on select markets).
- Office 365 Service Trust Portal: A new portal with even more information about trust, compliance, certifications etc. Important for Company admins can log in to the portal, Service Trust Portal, to give other users access to the portal. It is implemented as an Azure AD app and it actually requires some interesting permissions on your Azure AD to be able to use it. Brand new on the roadmap.
- Office 365 Setup Enhancements: the new migration options are now fully launched
- Office 365 Setup Wizard: the more streamlined getting-started and setup guide is live.
- Office 365 Video: most likely the service that has taken the longest time to fully roll out. Video! It's here…
- Office 365 Video - Embed: The video embed features should be available for everyone
- Office 365 Video Update: Everyone should also have the updated Video experience in their tenants by now.
- Yammer for Apple Watch: Yawn! If you are the one user using this, please contact me so I can find out why…
- Automatic Relationship Detection: PivotTable stuff, for those who are interested I guess this is a big del.
- Automatic Time Grouping: Same here, but for PivotCharts…
- Colorful Office theme: This sounds like a small thing, but it is actually huge. Each Office ProPlus/2016 client application now has it's own color scheme (Word - blue, PowerPoint - red, Excel - green etc). One of the feedbacks I heard from customers about Office 2013 was the white theme - no one liked it. I really fancy this new colorful theme, with a subtle color on each app which makes it much easy on the eyes.
- Create and collaborate on Visio diagrams using Office-like experience: Anything with Visio is a good thing
- Dark theme: Welcome to the dark side. If you liked to old app Darkroom, you'll like this.
- Data Loss Protection (DLP) for Office desktop: DLP on the desktops for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Nice addition!
- Deferred Updates: If you don't want to be on the latest and greatest you can now defer feature updates for the Office client.
- Easy Enable for Data Analysis Add-Ins: More Power[View|Pivot|Map] improvements
- Getting started experience in Visio: Visio for everyone!
- Higher DPI support for 250% and 300%: Ok, this must be in preparation for Surface Pro 4 (Staffan, I just dropped my Surface 3…)
- Improved conflict resolution in PowerPoint: Conflict resolution in PowerPoint has been a mess, especially with those Management Consultant slides…
- Improved sync slider and lean storage footprint on small devices in Outlook 2016: How about that, think about being the PM for the "sync slider".
- Information Rights Management (IRM) protection now added for Visio files: RMS and Visio! Gotta keep those drawings secure!
- Keyboard access for Pivot Tables and Slicers in Excel: The Excel BI team has been on fire
- Keyboard access for Shape Panel in Visio: Visio is getting closer to be one first class citizen in the Office family
- Keyword & People search suggestions in Outlook 2016: better integration with the Office 365 backend in Outlook 2016 for search to give you even better and more relevant results
- Likes Coming to Outlook on the web: This is a new feature on the Roadmap and I think I like it! You can give an e-mail "Thumbs up" and this will be preserved. This is likely to prevent all those "+1" e-mails.
- Making it easier to share files and collaborate: This is one of the better improvements in Office 2016 - the updated Share pane which combines sharing and co-authoring information
- Mark emails as Clutter in Outlook 2016: I occasionally see this feature in the new 2016 client. For instance yesterday when doing a demo of that feature, it was not there…
- Math Input Control: A cool feature for students and scientists
- Modern Attachments in Outlook 2016: The number one productivity improvement in Outlook 2016. Attach you recent documents in a few clicks without actually sending attachments.
- More secure translation options: I'm surprised this hasn't been in there before, but now the information from your documents is sent of SSL to services such as Bing and MS Research.
- Multi-factor authentication: Makes all users cry but security officers jump in excitement
- New and Modern Charts: How many different chart types can there really be?
- New capabilities on Yammer Android app: The Yammer people are still struggling to entice the Android crowd - ever heard of Office 365 Groups and the new Outlook Group app?
- New Chinese and Japanese Default Fonts: New updated modern fonts
- New Forecasting Capabilities: Excel again!
- New Office 365 Admin Center Preview: Another new addition to the roadmap. All Office 365 Admins will soon have the new admin center experience in their tenants. During the transition you will have a link in the old portal to the new one
- OLAP Connection Support in Power View: More PowerView
- Optimized file picker in Outlook Web App: A really good file picker in OWA that allows you to more easily add attachments from your OneDrive for instance
- Pan and zoom while loading large charts/SmartArt: SmartArt improvements
- PivotTable Field Search: No comments needed, more Excel stuff
- Quick data linking in Visio: Make it easier to hook up data to your VIsio shapes
- Quick Shape Formatting: More style presets in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Read-only mode for Excel: Open Excel more faster
- Real time co-authoring in Word: Microsoft is catching up with other services, this is a neat feature - and it actually works
- Refreshed stencils and smart shapes in Visio: About time…I'm dead tired of the 3D server shapes
- Smart Lookup for Office: Contextual research options in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Smart Rename in Power Pivot: PowerPivot…
- Support for multi-selection of Slicer items using touch: Touch my Excel!
- Support for small screen portrait layouts in Outlook 2016: Optimizations of Outlook 2016 for small screen devices.
- Tell Me: It's like Cortana but for Office, use Tell me to find that function you need instead of clicking like crazy in the myriads of menus in Office
- eDiscovery Case Management, Hold & Permissions: No update on this one, except removal of a comma in the text
- New per-user licensing for Sway: New on the roadmap and this is a significant one. "Sway will soon switch to a per-user licensing model, so that organizations no longer have to choose whether to have Sway enabled for the entire organization vs. nobody at all". A good move and all you Service Managers out there you need to plan for this one. So you don't get the same confusion as when Microsoft initially launched this product to everyone (that is a dumb move that we will just have to get used with,…)
- Office 365 Admin app updates October 2015: We will see Groups administration in the next wave of the admin app. Like it!
- Real-time Co-authoring in Skype for Business: First of all - whoever wrote this description need to read it again - worse English than mine. Ok, this is a new thing on the Roadmap and my interpretation of the lousy description is that it could be something really cool
- Reassign Sways from deleted user: New on the roadmap. With this update you should be able to actually reassign the ownership of Sways to users that is removed from your tenant
- Video Based Screen Sharing: New on the roadmap: P2P based Video Based Screen Sharing.
- Work Management in Office 365: The Office 365 Planner announcement,. I can't stress how excited I am about this one. Think of it like Trello in Office 365 Groups. Can't wait to start using it!!! Read the full Planner announcement here.
Almost a month has gone since Microsoft did an update to the Office Roadmap. But fear no more, it is here stuffed with new and interesting stuff. It's quite a long list this time around. A lot of them are just Office 2016 features that we've known about for some time, but now added to this Roadmap. But also some really interesting FastTrack features, with very sparse descriptions.
- About Me Update and New Authoring Tool: The updated About Me, part of Delve, is now fully launched, including the new Stories authoring tool. Unfortunately totally missed out on communicating this new and actually really great way of composing content - kind of like a mix of Sway and a blog tool. (Started rolling out in April)
- Azure AD Sync for Yammer: Finally Yammer is in some way in sync with Azure AD and disabled/deleted accounts will now be suspended in Yammer (new on the roadmap)
- Major update to Outlook Web App: Outlook on the web has a new UX (from In development)
- Office 365 Admin app updates: the regular admin app updates, this time support for logging in to multiple tenants
- Office 365 Admin App Updates for June: the admin app June updates
- Outlook for iOS opens IRM protected emails: the iOS version of Outlook now supports reading, managing and creating IRM protected e-mails. (new)
- Search Suggestions in Outlook Web App: type ahead with recommendations in OWA (from rolling out)
- UserVoice coming to Outlook on the web: provide user feedback to UserVoice directly in the OWA interface (from in development)
- Weather Bar in Outlook Web App: now shows the local weather in OWA (from in development)
- Apps for Project Pro for Office 365 write support: write-back support fro Apps for Project Pro for Office 365. Nice enhancement! (from in development)
- Capacity Management capabilities in Project Online: heatmaps and colors in Project Online for better predictions of resource utilization (from in development)
- FastTrack | Request Service Onboarding: you can now request setup help directly from within the admin center and get on board the Office 365 train fast and for free. (new)
- Multiple timeline bars in Project Pro for Office 365: more GUI stuff for all them project managers (from in development)
- Office 365 Setup Enhancements: improvements in the setup wizard for mail migrations (from in development)
- Resource Engagement Workflow in Project Online: better management for resource management and planning (from in development)
- Subscription Management Experience refresh; a new card view when working with subscriptions. In my opinion a far worse experience than before, the card view is just annoying. (from in development)
- Add-in deployment via Click-to-Run: a few add-ins/apps can now be deployed via the C2R method (new)
- Archiving in Office 365 for 3rd-party data: Office 365 will support archiving of Twitter, Yammer, Facebook, LinkedIn, GoogleTalk, DropBox, Box, SalesForce, Chatter, SMS and more and more. This is huge for compliance and regulatory business! Big thumbs up! (new)
- Automatic Relationship Detection: PivotTables and data and relationships. Some magic for all BI and Excel lovers. (new)
- Azure departmental template availability: department specific RMS/IRM templates. (new)
- Click-to-Run manageability gaps addressed for IT-pros: improvements to make the already stream-lined (pun intended) deployment even more streamlined (new)
- Colorful Office Theme: Not really new, just new on the roadmap. Office (C2R and 2016) has a new default Colorful Theme. I love this small but significant UX change. (new)
- Create and collaborate on Visio diagrams using Office-like experience: been here a while, previously it was rolling out, now it's not…
- Dark Theme: an improved Dark theme in Office (C2R and 2016) (new)
- Data Gathering and Shaping Capabilities: Power Query, previously an add-on, is now included in Excel 2016. (new)
- Data Loss Protection (DLP) for Office desktop: This is really cool, DLP is not just a cloud feature, it will be on our desktops as well. (new)
- Deferred Updates: Office 365 commercial customers can defer Office patches to allow more time for testing (new)
- Easy Enable for Data Analysis Add-Ins: BI, BI, Power this and Power that. All BI features will be enabled by just you thinking about them (new)
- FastTrack | Data migration to SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business: No info yet but probably free migration to SPO (new)
- FastTrack | Skype for Business Onboarding Expansion: more free stuff (new)
- FastTrack | Adoption planning services: being just a migration and onboarding consultant is probably not the smartest move at the moment… (new)
- FastTrack | Azure Rights Management Onboarding: no info (new)
- FastTrack | Project Online Onboarding: no info (new)
- FastTrack | Providing the customer success service: no info (new)
- FastTrack | Yammer Onboarding Expansion: no info (new)
- Getting Started experience in Visio: no longer rolling out :-(
- Higher DPI support for 250% and 300%: Makes Office work better on high DPI screens (new)
- Improved conflict resolution in PowerPoint: making co-authoring even better, and for PowerPoint the conflict resolution has been really bad…
- Improved sync slider and lean storage footprint on small devices in Outlook 2016: who doesn't like improved sliders!!! (new)
- Information Rights Management (IRM) protection now added for Visio files: also rolled back from rolling out
- Keyboard access for Pivot Tables and Slicers in Excel: more Excel BI improvements (new)
- Keyboard access for Shape Panel in Visio: new key to start use in Visio - F6 (new)
- Keyword & People search suggestions in Outlook 2016: simpler and more effective search in Outlook 2016 (new)
- Making it easier to share files and collaborate: one of my fav features in Office 2016 - sharing is easy!! (new)
- Mark emails as Clutter in Outlook 2016: get rid of those annoying e-mails that you don't care about (new)
- Math Input Control: for all you math geeks (new)
- Modern Attachments in Outlook 2016: if sharing is my fav feature this is way better - avoid attachments and sharing at the same time (new)
- More secure translation options: document translation, research pane and others now use SSL for transport security - about time!!! (new)
- Multi-factor Authentication: support for MFA in Office client (new)
- New and Modern Charts: new charts in Excel (new)
- New Chinese and Japanese Default fonts: Wingdings? (new)
- New forecasting capabilities: improved Excel 2016 forecasting (new)
- New timeline view in Project: improved timeline view in Project 2016 (new)
- Office 365 content pack for Power BI: combine Office 365 usage and user information and get some insights (new)
- Office 365 detailed usage reports: more and better reports (new)
- Office 365 Groups: Support compliance requirements: support for Office 365 Groups in the compliance center with retention and holds (new)
- Office 365 Reporting Dashboard: new aggregated dashboard in the admin center (new)
- OLAP Connection Support in Power View: OLAP support in PowerView (new)
- Outlook for the web inline OneDrive attachment preview: better preview options in OWA (new)
- Pan and zoom while loading large charts/SmartArt:: no explanation needed (new)
- PivotTable Field Search: search and you will find (new)
- Quick data linking in Visio; one step connectivity for real time data (new)
- Quick Shape Formatting: more presets in Office 2016 (new)
- Read-only mode for Excel: open up an Excel document in SharePoint in read-only mode - what's new with that!?? (new)
- Real time co-authoring in Word: it's been said before but this is now real time co-authoring for real (new)
- Refresh stencils and smart shapes in Visio: another Visio thing that was in the rolling out section earlier
- Set Automatic Replies in Outlook for iOS & Android: get your OOOF's rolling on the fruitphones and droids (new)
- Smart Lookup for Office: contextual lookups (new)
- Smart Rename in Power Pivot: rename stuff in PowerPivot, probably really good feature, I don't know (new)
- Support for multi-selection of Slicer items using touch: Slicers, BI and touch - sounds like a wet dream to many (new)
- Support for small screen portrait layouts in Outlook 2016: looking forward to testing this on my 7" Windows 10 tablet (new)
- TellMe: Kindof Cortana but limited to the Office Ribbon :-) (new)
Moved off to the Previously Released list
- NDR backscatter protection
- Office 365 ProPlus user activation management
- Public Folder calendar and contact access in OWA
- SharePoint Online storage usage model
- Skype for Business - Windows Phone
- Skype for Business Preview - Cloud PBX with PSTN Calling (US Only)
- Skype for Business Preview - PSTN Conferencing (US Only)
- Skype for Business Preview - Skype Meeting Broadcast
- Workload-specific admin roles
That's it. Twas a long post this time…